[j-nsp] QSA adapters and MTU

Ola Thoresen ola at nytt.no
Fri Nov 3 09:00:33 EDT 2023

Hi all,

I am currently investigating the use of 1G and 10G optics on the MX304.

This requires a QSA adapter -
https://mellanox.my.site.com/mellanoxcommunity/s/article/all-about-qsa-adapter
- That is fine.

But then I hear people telling me that there is a known limitation when
using these adapters that you can not have a higher MTU than ~2000 Bytes
at _least_ when using 1G SFPs, but possibly also with 10G.  However, I
can not find _any_ information about that anywhere.  Not from Juniper,
not from Mellanox (Nvidia), nor from any user guides or datasheets I
have found for the adapter from various vendors, and not from any mail
archives, forums or anywhere else my Google-foo is taking me.

Those who raised the issue are quite insistent that it is real, but they
don't have any links or documents backing them up.  Is it just FUD?

* Has anyone ever used these adapters?

* In a Juniper device (they are supported on different platforms)?

* With 1G or 10G SFPs?

* With (or without) adjusting the MTU?

/Ola (T)