[j-nsp] QSA adapters and MTU

Chris Wopat me at falz.net
Fri Nov 3 11:04:45 EDT 2023

We use them on MX304 at 10g, primarily to get DWDM SFP+ to work. MTU is
fine, it's 9k as a part of LACP on a recent deployment. The adapter simply
passes through lane :0 to the port when configured as QSFP+. If you insert
the adapter and no optic, the device is unaware of its existence - you only
see the SFP+ info.

We haven't tested in prod on 1g but i think we did in the lab. can probably
toss something in there if you're really curious. I think the juniper
supported optic page lists QSA adapter support or not. I thought it was
generally supported with Junos 20+ nowadays.

me at mx304> show chassis pic fpc-slot 0 pic-slot 1 | match 14
  14   10GBASE ZR        SM    FLEXOPTIX          P.1596.80         1550 nm
                  0.0           1550nm   SFF-8472 ver 10.2

me at mx304> show interfaces terse | match xe-0/0/14
xe-0/0/14:0             up    up
xe-0/0/14:0.0           up    up   aenet    --> ae5.0

me at mx304> show interfaces ae5 | match mtu | match roto
    Protocol inet, MTU: 9000
    Protocol inet6, MTU: 9000
    Protocol mpls, MTU: 9166, Maximum labels: 3
    Protocol multiservice, MTU: Unlimited

Cheers
Chris