[j-nsp] QSA adapters and MTU

Ola Thoresen ola at nytt.no
Fri Nov 3 11:15:58 EDT 2023

On 03.11.2023 16:04, Chris Wopat wrote:

> We use them on MX304 at 10g, primarily to get DWDM SFP+ to work. MTU
> is fine, it's 9k as a part of LACP on a recent deployment. The adapter
> simply passes through lane :0 to the port when configured as QSFP+. If
> you insert the adapter and no optic, the device is unaware of its
> existence - you only see the SFP+ info.

This is the same use case as for us, and my understanding is exactly
that they are just passing a single lane through, and should not really
know anything about packets or ethernet frames or anything.

But still - people more knowledgeable than me - assure me that there is
a limit of 2008 Bytes MTU - at least for 1G.

I just can't find this documented anywhere, and I would have thought
that more people would have made more fuss about it when they start
using it if this is a real issue.

> We haven't tested in prod on 1g but i think we did in the lab. can
> probably toss something in there if you're really curious. I think the
> juniper supported optic page lists QSA adapter support or not. I
> thought it was generally supported with Junos 20+ nowadays.

Yes. They list QSA adapter as supported, also for 1G optics, and don't
write anything about any MTU limitations in the Hardware Compatibility Tool.

/Ola (T)