[j-nsp] MX304 - Edge Router

Richard McGovern rmcgovern at juniper.net
Wed Oct 25 15:01:17 EDT 2023

You should not need a license for MOST features to work, for example L3 Routing, EVPN, etc. It depend a little on the exact platform and feature/function. MACSec is one where you “may” need a license to activate, to test/etc. In general, currently licenses are not required for most features to function or to be used for testing. In case of testing, Trial/Demo licenses can be cut easily.

Just FYI, Rich

Richard McGovern
Sr Sales Engineer, Juniper Networks
978-618-3342

I’d rather be lucky than good, as I know I am not good
I don’t make the news, I just report it

Juniper Business Use Only

On 10/25/23, 2:38 PM, "Ola Thoresen" <ola at nytt.no> wrote:
On 25.10.2023 19:20, Richard McGovern via juniper-nsp wrote:

> Crist, not quite 100% accurate. Perpetual License are permeant and last forever, but with newer Flex License structure also require a SW Support Contract. Subscription based licenses of course expire at end of the subscription date, but do include SW Support.
>
> Trial and Demo licenses always come with end date, usually 60-90 days in the future. I am not 100% sure about expiration for Lab Licenses.

But the main issue here was whether the licenses are trust based or not.

Which means that even _without_ a license, an MX304 should be able to do
almost anything that requires a license (except bng, macsec and possibly
a few other special use cases) - although it would cause nagging in the
logs and when committing.

I think this was cleared up earlier, that the OP probably experienced
some other bug.

That is what's important for us. That functions don't stop working if a
subscription license expires, and that you can try out a feature without
buying a license first.

/Ola (T)