[j-nsp] Difference in "MX204" and "MX204-HW-BASE"?

Chriztoffer Hansen ch at ntrv.dk
Wed Jan 10 10:43:56 EST 2024

On Wed, 10 Jan 2024 at 14:18, chiel via juniper-nsp
<juniper-nsp at puck.nether.net> wrote:

> Is there a difference between "MX204" and "MX204-HW-BASE"?
>
> I thought the "MX204" has honored based license, which isn't sold
> anymore. Where the "MX204-HW-BASE" (also end of sale but still widely
> available) enforces the license after version 22.2R1 for BGP. Is this
> assumption correct?
>
> If there is indeed this difference how can I distinguish these two
> platforms from the CLI?
>
> I have a MX204 with version 22.3R3.8 without a license installed on it
> and its doing BGP just fine. So I guess I have the older MX204 model?

Last I heard back from a contact at VAR we use at $dayjob was to
downgrade to <= 22.1R2-S1 (H1/2023). I.e. 22.2 and above will
enforce the new license schema. No clarification have had been
received what Juniper intends to do concerning MX204 owners
with the "old" perpetual license. Wishing to upgrade to newer
22.2 or 22.4 releases.

If you have a support contract with them. I recommend estacalting
the question with them.