[j-nsp] gNMI on MX960

Sebastian Wiesinger sebastian at karotte.org
Thu Mar 7 10:48:12 EST 2024

Hi Jared,

thanks for the answer.

* Jared Mauch via juniper-nsp <juniper-nsp at puck.nether.net> [2024-03-07 16:41]:
> I’ve been spending some time on this as well, here’s the first thing I would ask you:
>

> If you do “show version | match tele”
>
> What do you see?  I’ve had varying results based on the platform.

swiesinger at lab-mx960> show version | match tele
JUNOS na telemetry [21.2R3-S5.4]
JUNOS RPD Telemetry Application [21.2R3-S5.4]
JUNOS Services Telemetry [20230427.001720_builder_junos_212_r3_s5]

> The second thing is, does your sensor path actually complete?

What do you mean by complete?

> You may want to try to use a UDP based sensor instead to start to
> validate the platform will output what you expect, for example:
>
> [..]
>
> This will save a lot of effort/overhead of the certificates etc, and
> let you make sure the code supports the sensors you expect, and you
> can use protoc to add in the photo files that might be needed.
>
> I’ve seen Juniper output invalid GPB in cases where the software
> doesn’t support the sensors.

I'll try to test it with your example config.

The goal is to use Telegraf (which has a gNMI input plugin) to get
gNMI data from multiple vendors (mostly Arista, Juniper) and output it
to Prometheus and/or InfluxDB.

Best Regards

Sebastian

            -- Terry Pratchett, The Fifth Elephant