[Ndr] Winding down first rev

Martin Hannigan hannigan at gmail.com
Tue Nov 21 21:07:55 EST 2017

Jason,

Sorry for the delay in response. I have a new job and I have been traveling
just a little bit.

Everything is done on my end. I have the configurations done and I've been
able to simplify the logic substantially. Everything has been upgraded and
set up. The equipment that Coresite data centers donated turned out to be
quite flexible with what wasn't limited by the lack of cisco proprietary
controller. There are some functionality problems that don't make them
perfect, but they are fine.

However. I have come to the conclusion that shipping cost is a major
factor. The equipment weighs a lot. This is the primary reason why I
haven't shipped anything yet. Dominica suggested that we instead provide
them with wireless bridging equipment that they could distribute signals
across the neighborhood. This is a more cost effective approach including
being lighter. The ubiquiti solution tht Nick used in St. John seems to be
the right one in my mind.

I am ready to send gear. The question is which? To be honest, I'd rather
donate enough equipment to give Craig and team the wireless distribution
they seek. It would be lighter and easy to handle. That option would take
me another week to two. Then shipped. Option 1, the cisco gear would take
the same, but do to the cost constraints I'd be concerned with how much
equipment would be sent.

I also have configured a bunch of Raspberry Pi's to provide different low
pressure functionality. They are perfectly find in the current environment
as caching name servers. I can send those immediately as they are extremely
light.

The only outstanding question I have is about power. If CW can provide an
ethernet connection that will allow for DHCP to work, we are in business.
That leaves power and the question there is if it is adequate enough?

What would you like me to do at this point? If you want to talk live, let's
put some time aside tomorrow afternoon. You are aware that Thursday is a
major US holiday? I could speak with you on Friday if that is better.

I have to tell you that I have learned quite a bit from this experience. I
am going to document it and hopefully if this happens again, the enthusiasm
can be turned into action much quicker. The shipping and access piece seems
to the the major blocker, and not only cost. I hope that whatever we send
gets stored for future emergencies and can be replicated for others to do
the same.

Thanks for all your help!!!

Best,

Martin