[Nsp-qos] BW Management solutions advice

Albinati, Luis Martin Albo at prima.com.ar
Tue Oct 26 14:18:14 EDT 2004

Hi,

I am considering some bandwidth management solutions and would like to
know if some of you people have had some real world experiences with
this kind of boxes. More specifically I am looking at some Large-ISP or
Carrier-Grade solutions with at least the following specifications:

>= 1Gbps traffic capacity
>500k simultaneous connections
Layer 7 stateful packet inspection (via protocol signatures and/or
protocol analysis) Traffic prioritization, shaping, QoS and bandwidth
provisioning based on custom defined policies (vlan id, ip ranges, tos,
time of day, etc) possibility to easily update and deploy new or
modified protocol definitions without affecting availability.

In the past days I've been analyzing solutions from Allot, P-Cube,
Caspian Networks and Ellacoya, and some of them would seem to be fine,
but I would like to know if you have had experiences with these or other
products that might fit for the job. I would greatly appreciate all the
advices, recommendations or suggestions that you may want to share about
this.

FYI, so you can get the idea of the levels of traffic we are handling
nowadays, I work at a dialup and broadband (cable and dsl) ISP.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Luis M. Albinati
Prima S.A. Argentina (AS10481)