[Outages-discussion] [outages-discussion] Another power outage today at Hurricane?

Nicholas Tang ntang at interactiveone.com
Tue Nov 3 17:54:45 EST 2009

My general advice would be to actively negotiate the terms of the SLA,
get both parties to agree, and sign the modified version.  Almost any
company will allow for edits as long as they're negotiated openly and in
good faith.  Sometimes it means editing the SLA directly, sometimes it
means attaching an amendment or addendum, but it's almost always
possible.

But the earlier commenter who pointed out that SLAs are mostly useless
is pretty much right: no matter how aggressive it is, the SLA is
ultimately not going to cover your business losses (or generally any
more than a single month of service costs!) so it's always going to hurt
you more when a service provider goes down than it hurts them.

I've found that having the ability to stop using their services is
generally the best stick to threaten them with - if you can, get
redundant setups, and go into it w/ the concept that you might need to
leave quickly if things go south.  This is of course easier with
services like CDNs or network services than w/ physical services like
colos, but even then it's possible, and losing a paying customer (and
having it become public knowledge) will generally scare them a lot more
than just losing a month of revenue from one (or even several)
customer(s).

Nicholas