[Outages-discussion] [outages-discussion] Another power outage today at Hurricane?

Seth Mattinen sethm at rollernet.us
Tue Nov 3 17:39:48 EST 2009

Jeremy Chadwick wrote:
> Discussion moved to outages-discussion at outages.org.
>
> I think it's this simple: read the SLA before signing the contract.
> Don't like certain clauses?  Strike them out (although many companies
> will refuse to honour the modified SLA, some actually will depending
> upon what's been stricken).

SAVVIS apparently reads the contract you send back to them and compares
it to the original (at least they did with me) and wouldn't accept when
it didn't match. It didn't make any operational difference to me other
than being annoyed with the LEC for being idiots thanks to the joy of
multihoming.

> There are other co-location providers in the bay who offer equal (or
> slightly more -- "slightly" means maybe $25-50) rates with much better
> service, better peering (less shady, more redundancy), and guarantee
> service reliability with reimbursement for service in 15-minute
> increments (service hard down for an hour?  credit = rate * 4).

Low cost is king, sadly. I can't remember the last time I had an outage,
but my colo is more expensive because I'm rather small and I can really
only offer a better customer service experience. But I find that isn't
enough either because people would rather complain, accomplish nothing,
forget, and repeat the cycle.

(This is all in general and not directed at HE, whom I've had nothing
but a good experience with their IPv6 tunnel broker.)

~Seth