[Outages-discussion] [OT] The Great Transatlantic Cable Movie

virendra rode virendra.rode at outages.org
Fri Oct 29 21:43:34 EDT 2010

On 10/29/2010 05:15 PM, Dan York wrote:
> Since we're off-topic on a Friday night... another similar book that I thoroughly enjoyed was:
>
>    How the World Was One: Turbulent History of Global Communications by Arthur C. Clarke
>
> A collection of his essays, speeches and other text that covered the laying of the early telegraph cables and then later got into satellites.  Came out back in 1992... seems like it's hard to find right now online.... but was an enjoyable perspective on all of this.
>
> Dan
I also enjoyed reading Neal Stephenson’s 1996 Wired Magazine article
"Mother Earth Mother Board" in which he follows the installation of a
modern fiber optic cable over three continents and incidentally presents
the history of communications cables.

http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/4.12/ffglass.html

enjoy :)

regards,