[Outages-discussion] Idea to help with the S/N on outages...

Mike Jones mike at mikejones.in
Wed Aug 17 20:00:07 EDT 2011

On 17 August 2011 22:50, Jeremy Chadwick <outages at jdc.parodius.com> wrote:
> c) Recursive DNS analysis done in real-time.  I've yet to see any sort
> of resource that does this reliably/accurately; I can find "online
> DNS tracers" (sigh...) that are basically just dig +trace, which is
> helpful but simultaneously useless in intermittent outages (e.g. a
> single root server having issues).

At one point on was so disappointed with the DNS diagnostic tools that
are around that I started writing my own DNS trace tool, but half way
through I stumbled across http://www.squish.net/dnscheck/v1.html
(recently replaced with an inferior version at http://dns.squish.net/)
which did everything I needed so I never completed the project.

The only problem being that this tool is hosted from a single server
and isn't downloadable to install on your own servers afaik (also
IPv4-only), if anyone knows any similar open source tools I can stick
on my servers that would be extremely helpful and would give me an
excuse to never finish the project!

- Mike