[Outages-discussion] [outages] HE tunnelbroker.net down?

Patrick W. Gilmore patrick at ianai.net
Wed Oct 5 00:54:30 EDT 2011

On Oct 4, 2011, at 12:09 PM, Frank Bulk wrote:

> Fact, speculation, or educated guess?

Fact: Vodofone claims their customers could not reach international destination IP addresses because HE was down.
<quote>
Spokesman Matt East said the issue was caused by a denial of service attack on Hurricane Electric, a Californian company that provides international connectivity to Vodafone.
</quote>

Educated Guess: Sounds to me like they were single homed.  I'm happy to listen to other educated guesses on how to explain the fact above.

Speculation: Lots of things get lost in translation.  For instance, perhaps they are multi-homed, but had some problems to some locations because one of their transit providers (HE) was being attacked, and stuff.co.nz translated that as 'down'.  Although the peers & customers of HE who talked to me said they lost BGP sessions with HE; so if Vodafone was not in some unusual state during the attack (BGP up, packets not flowing), I don't see how that fits the symptoms above.

We can speculate more.  Or maybe Vodafone or HE can just tell us?

--
TTFN,
patrick