[Outages-discussion] [outages] HE tunnelbroker.net down?

Jeremy Chadwick outages at jdc.parodius.com
Wed Oct 5 02:49:17 EDT 2011

There's no speculation in this statement: Vodafone is at the mercy of
HE.

An earlier post of yours said, and I quote: "HE is not a telco, they
will tell you what happened".

I have talked at length on two separate occasions on outages, about HE's
complete and total incompetence on numerous levels, and just as bad,
lack of transparency when it comes to outages of all sorts.  This makes
rant #3.

https://puck.nether.net/pipermail/outages/2009-September/001547.html
http://puck.nether.net/pipermail/outages-discussion/2011-May/000225.html

Both of these posts solicited many responses from list members to me
privately citing their experiences as customers of HE, some of whom had
quit/left and some who remained there but were looking at alternatives
given that their experiences were identical to mine.  I was surprised by
the number of responses I received, but felt relieved to know I was not
the only one amazed by their seat-of-the-pants operations.

I acknowledge it's considered unprofessional to curse on a mailing list,
but with Hurricane Electric Fremont (doesn't matter if it's Facility 1
or 2, *really* it doesn't), this is SSDD (Same Shit Different Day).  I
forget which of their datacenters (FMT1, FMT2, or SJC1) houses their
public EFnet IRC server, which is more or less a DDoS magnet.  I often
wonder if customers are made aware of that fact.

So let's be accurate: blame both vendors for two different things: HE
for horrible and atrocious service, and Vodafone for lack of redundancy.
Shame on them both, as the only ones who suffer are the customers.

| UNIX Systems Administrator                   Mountain View, CA, US |