[Outages-discussion] [outages] Fwd: RE: FYI Netflix is down

Kevin Blackham blackham at gmail.com
Sat Jun 30 01:07:46 EDT 2012

On Fri, Jun 29, 2012 at 9:40 PM, Paul Ferguson <fergdawgster at gmail.com> wrote:
> http://venturebeat.com/2012/06/29/amazon-outage-netflix-instagram-pinterest/

"The outage underscores the vulnerabilities of depending on the public
cloud versus using your own data centers."

Let me fix that: "The outage underscores the lack of attention to
failure tolerance by many affected services." Building my own sites
isn't going to keep them from failing. Every datacenter will fail
eventually.

Granted, when an Amazon AZ fails, history has shown the thrash induced
by recovery mechanisms can also take out adjacent AZs (e.g. network
overloads vs. EBS), but that doesn't stop an architect from
considering regional redundancy.