[Outages-discussion] Level 3 techs, fixing fire damage, cut wrong fiber in London

Larry Sheldon LarrySheldon at cox.net
Tue May 29 13:49:02 EDT 2012

On 5/29/2012 12:07 PM, Frank Bulk wrote:
> http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2151535/Thousands-people-left-intern
> et-access-bungling-engineers-cut-wrong-cables.html
>
> Thought this group might find this article interesting.  Was the fiber
> mislabeled or the circuit details incorrectly documented?  We'll probably
> never know.

I am here to tell you that it doesn't make any difference.

A long, long time ago in a place far, far away, after the conversion of
TWX  to all dial service, Western Electric had a contract to remove 6 o8
bays of testboard and I don't remember what all.

In preparation for the mining operation, people climbed up into the
cable racks and hand-over-hand traced each cable to be removed with
bright orange ribbons.

Then when the mining operation, the alarms and calls started.The Los
Angeles County Sheriff's telegraph network was destroyed, as were those
of several stock-brokers houses.

Turns out the orange flags were taken to mean (do not cut)--everything
else was game.

And since the cut cables were the ones leading from the distribution
frame to the jack-fields there was no restoration until jumpers could be
run directly from cable to equipment or equipment to equipment.

Using records, some of which dated back to previous telephone companies.

--
Requiescas in pace o email           Two identifying characteristics
                                         of System Administrators: