[Outages-discussion] FEMA, W.H. send victims to Internet

Tom Perrine tom.perrine at gmail.com
Sat Nov 3 12:45:59 EDT 2012

During the San Diego outage last year, we realized that the main hole in
our power plan was cellphone power for our staff.

We had plenty of gen power for all the on-campus DCs, but staff cellphones
were getting low when it was time for people to go home.  For that event we
put charging stations (lots of power strips) in the DCs. The only problem
was there were still a lot of phones with unique chargers, and not enough
chargers in the office to charge all the phones at the same time.

After the event we pulled additional gen-backed power into our NOC, and
starting stocking a bunch of the unique phone chargers.