[Outages-discussion] Why not to label fiber-optic cables "HighVoltage"

Bill Wichers billw at waveform.net
Sat Oct 20 16:58:49 EDT 2012

There are also conductors made with fiber strands within the wire strands themselves. This is commonly called "optical ground" or similar cable, but I've seen it rated for use as a phase conductor rated up to 138kv. AFL is one manufacturer of this type of cable.

Also, it's usually the local city that would possibly know what cables were permitted in a given right if way, not a state-level PUC. I can tell you from experience that the cities generally have very little idea what the utilities have in right of ways though. Cities also lack the skills and experience to make engineering-level decisions regarding these kinds of things. I'd be very wary of encouraging government entities to increase regulation of this kind of thing for exactly that reason.

It's also worth mentioning that fiber optic cables are often used in high-voltage telemetry networks specifically because of their ability to provide electrical isolation between different parts of the monitoring system.

Regarding the marking of underground facilities, it is common practice to mark the facility using the color prescribed for whatever the most hazardous utility present is. If a conduit system is shared between power and fiber (which is very common since many electric utilities will lease duct space to telecom carriers), then the markings would be red since that's the standardized color for power (fiber is orange). Usually gas (yellow) and power (red) are considered most hazardous and have priority.

 -Bill

Sent from my iPhone