[Outages-discussion] Unpleasant discovery

George Herbert george.herbert at gmail.com
Sat Oct 27 20:32:03 EDT 2012

On Oct 27, 2012, at 2:04 PM, Seth Mattinen <sethm at rollernet.us> wrote:

>> I spend most of my time as a consultant; *I* certainly know better on the risks side, which is why I spent 36 hours beating through the location obfuscation for $CURRENTCLIENT.
>>
>> It was statistically possible that everything could be there.  We knew part was.  Finding out that it all really is, is slightly annoying, even having 20+ years experience.  Not shocking, but annoying.
>>

> How does the client feel about it?
>
> ~Seth

We're still in reactive, everyone's working on something.  I think it's affected but not ruined many peoples weekends.

Wider redundancy discussions started when I started there earlier in the month, the EC2 outage got attention, then the weather made the timeline a bit more urgent.

If a lot of capital-area datacenters go down due to the storm, this may look like Cloud Zero.  I for one would like to get a geographical location on anything I buy in the future, along with accurate updates.  I've always wanted that but am going to be more emphatically insistent...

George William Herbert
Sent from my iPhone