[Outages-discussion] FEMA, W.H. send victims to Internet

Patrick W. Gilmore patrick at ianai.net
Tue Oct 30 10:55:51 EDT 2012

On Oct 30, 2012, at 10:39 , Lyle Giese <lyle at lcrcomputer.net> wrote:

> And how long does the battery last in your smart phone?  My wife can not go 8 hours without a charger.(that's one reason I don't have a 'smart' phone)
>
> Plus in really big events like Sandy or the big ice storm that went through Kentucky a couple of years ago, how long will the cell towers survive without power?  Not all of them have on sight gensets.  Plus network outages
>
> Way to vulnerable to 'depend' on the Internet in events like this.

Just so we are clear, the phones are out, the power is out, the TV/cable is out, the roads are out, hell even the phone company's equipment doesn't have power any more.

Exactly what would you suggest people do?  Use megaphones?  Put up posters at town hall?

Fact if you actually got to town hall or a police station or something, someone there almost certainly could help you (as much as they can help anyone).  However, I'll bet you half the people reading this couldn't find their town hall on map without a web search - and more than half don't have a map on paper any more anyway.

--
TTFN,
patrick