[Outages-discussion] FEMA, W.H. send victims to Internet

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Tue Oct 30 11:23:05 EDT 2012

There are lots of sources for power that can charge a cellular phone other than a wall socket.

Worst case, you can actually do it with 4 D-Cells, a resistor and a little connector ingenuity on cell phones that use USB-based chargers.

Car adapters, solar chargers, laptop USB ports, etc. all work as well.

A Laptop battery can deliver many 8-hour-worth charges to a cell phone, while it cannot run the laptop for anywhere near that long.

I'm not saying that smartphones are a panacea. There is no panacea. However, when the other conventional communications channels have failed, this at least provides some additional alternatives and shows how the transport/platform/technology agnostic nature of the internet makes it a more robust way to deliver communications into affected areas.

If you can make ANYTHING work, you can probably get that thing onto the internet somehow. (At least for greater values of probability than virtually any other communications mechanism).

Owen