[Outages-discussion] FEMA, W.H. send victims to Internet

Seth Mattinen sethm at rollernet.us
Tue Oct 30 11:59:05 EDT 2012

On 10/30/12 8:37 AM, Jared Mauch wrote:

> On Oct 30, 2012, at 11:18 AM, "Owen, Greg" <gowen at litle.com> wrote:
>
>> I have a standalone gasoline powered charging system with sufficient battery reserves to recharge my cell multiple times without even needing to be run.  Additionally, it comes with an AM/FM receiver and provides evacuation capabilities in the event of an emergency.  It's a remarkably complete disaster management package.
>>
>> It's so handy, I got one for my wife, too.  We keep them in the garage.
>>

> The interesting part for me in the article is that there was no recommendation to use am/fm radio.  it used to be possible to "listen" to your tv stations when they were analog.
>
> I'm a bit concerned about this, but maybe i'm being paranoid… I do think that the government and agencies involved should take a moment and review what they are truly asking people to do…
>
> I know most DSL/cable/FTT* plants these days won't work without some form of local power for extended periods.

EAS is internet-based now. I noticed one of my customers recently
replaced the AM/FM tuners feeding their EAS decoder with an CAP-to-EAS
box. It basically takes Ethernet (plain internet access) and feeds audio
into the old EAS decoder so you don't have a buy new EAS stuff. So now
I'm carrying EAS for a broadcast TV station, but there isn't any
oversight on it beyond me being conscious that such a thing is important.

~Seth