[Outages-discussion] FEMA, W.H. send victims to Internet

Jared Mauch jared at puck.nether.net
Tue Oct 30 11:37:51 EDT 2012

On Oct 30, 2012, at 11:18 AM, "Owen, Greg" <gowen at litle.com> wrote:

> I have a standalone gasoline powered charging system with sufficient battery reserves to recharge my cell multiple times without even needing to be run.  Additionally, it comes with an AM/FM receiver and provides evacuation capabilities in the event of an emergency.  It's a remarkably complete disaster management package.
>
> It's so handy, I got one for my wife, too.  We keep them in the garage.

The interesting part for me in the article is that there was no recommendation to use am/fm radio.  it used to be possible to "listen" to your tv stations when they were analog.

I'm a bit concerned about this, but maybe i'm being paranoid… I do think that the government and agencies involved should take a moment and review what they are truly asking people to do…

I know most DSL/cable/FTT* plants these days won't work without some form of local power for extended periods.

- jared