[Outages-discussion] Metatraffic (was Re: [outages] IPv6 tunnels in FRA1 on HE.net down?)

Larry Sheldon LarrySheldon at cox.net
Thu Jun 13 18:31:09 EDT 2013

On 6/13/2013 10:52 AM, Patrick W. Gilmore wrote:
> On Jun 13, 2013, at 11:09 , John Starta <john at starta.org> wrote:
>> On Jun 13, 2013, at 5:16, Joe Holden <lists at rewt.org.uk> wrote:
>
>>> is there really need for so much noise about a service that isn't
>>> critical to anyone anywhere?
>>
>> An outage is an outage. If you consider this particular outage
>> noise then I suggest you learn how to use the filter functionality
>> of your mail client.
>
> I'm with John here.
>
> First, saying it is not critical to anyone anywhere is objectively
> false.
>
> Second, to a first approximation, every post to this list is about
> something that is critical to 0% of the population (at least to one
> decimal place).
>
> If you don't like an outage being posted to outages@, I suggest
> instead of adjusting your mail filters you click on the URL in the
> footer of every message and unsubscribe.

Does it occur to anyone else that an unpleasantly large amount of the
traffic on NANOG (which I no longer read for that reason), outages
(which I no longer read for that reason) and outages-discussion (which I
am about to give up on) is ABOUT the traffic on NANOG, outages, or
outages-discussion?

It ain't spam, folks.  You signed up for it. If it isn't doing the job
for, pay somebody with clue to write filters for you.  Or hire a
secretary.  Or "unsubscribe".

But no matter what you do, stop complaining about the product.  It is
what it is.

--
Requiescas in pace o email           Two identifying characteristics
                                         of System Administrators: