[Outages-discussion] Metatraffic (was Re: [outages] IPv6 tunnels in FRA1 on HE.net down?)

Jay Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Fri Jun 14 12:49:14 EDT 2013

----- Original Message -----
> From: "Larry Sheldon" <LarrySheldon at cox.net>

> > If you don't like an outage being posted to outages@, I suggest
> > instead of adjusting your mail filters you click on the URL in the
> > footer of every message and unsubscribe.
>
> Does it occur to anyone else that an unpleasantly large amount of the
> traffic on NANOG (which I no longer read for that reason), outages
> (which I no longer read for that reason) and outages-discussion (which
> I am about to give up on) is ABOUT the traffic on NANOG, outages, or
> outages-discussion?

<moderator-hat-on>
Outages-discussion is by definition for meta-traffic.

We do, occasionally, have a little too much non-actual-report traffic
on outages, and we do try to keep it pruned, but since email clients
don't have the Reply-to-a-different-list functionality that Usenet,
say, does, it's not always perfect.

As for NANOG, well, that's a discussion forum for people who run networks.
Who's to say *what* is on-topic for that list?

> It ain't spam, folks. You signed up for it. If it isn't doing the job
> for, pay somebody with clue to write filters for you. Or hire a
> secretary. Or "unsubscribe".
>
> But no matter what you do, stop complaining about the product. It is
> what it is.

And, to go back to the original comment, if it is a report of, or less
positively, an inquiry (preferably well composed) about an outage of
a transport or an endpoint service, then it is explicitly on-topic for
outages at outages.org.

Our target audience explicitly includes people who run support desks
for eyeball networks, and want to have answers handy for "why can't I
get to Yahoo?"

Proper use of killfiles and subject line changes should keep that
manageable for some time to come.
<moderator-hat-off>

Cheers,
-- jra