[Outages-discussion] RoadRunner/Bright House cablemodem problems

Jay Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Mon Sep 16 16:11:15 EDT 2013

On a new install for a client, we're seeing that the cable modem drops
out on us, and in a very interesting way.

Every so randomly often, it apparently does an uncommanded reboot (this
according to a guy who was logged into the CMTS looking at it one time it
did so), and when it does, 2 connected devices see the ethernet drop for 3-5
seconds, come back up for 15, then drop again for 3-5, and then go back
to normal.  I see this behavior logged exactly to the second on both the
attached Fortigate router and my Linux laptop; we've replaced the cable
modem and the ethernet cables coming out of it.

Oddly, it only seems to happen when there's traffic on the link; I haven't
seen a drop get logged when the link is idle (overnight/weekends).

The cablemodem is a DOCSIS3, Motorola Surfboard Extreme (that's not exact,
but I can provide a model number if anyone thinks it's critical).  Everything
in the cage is on a brand new 2000VA UPS.

Anyone ever seen a cablemodem misbehave in this particularly peculiar way
before?

Cheers,
-- jra