[Outages-discussion] [outages] TWC outage

Jay Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Thu Aug 28 12:53:42 EDT 2014

----- Original Message -----
> From: "Warren Kumari" <warren at kumari.net>

> On Wed, Aug 27, 2014 at 9:24 AM, Mitch Patterson
> <mitpatterson at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Not sure how much I buy that. Must have been major routine maitiance
> > to have
> > that wide of an affect
>
> Not necessarily -- screwing things up royally from a single device is
> not impossible / hard.
>
> For example, that classic example of this is managing to redistribute
> BGP into your IGP. Then there is the "I'll just change the policy on
> this one route reflector and, oh goodness me, I just set local-pref to
> 1 on all prefixes from $some_peer. That can't be good..." game. There
> is also the "This control-plane policer ACL is ugly. I'll refactor it
> to make it prettier.... 'k, I need port 22 for SSH, and 161 for SNMP.
> What's this random port 179? Must be a typo, I'll move it lower in the
> filter..." option.
> There are also all sorts of vendor bugs you can tickle, etc.

> > On Aug 27, 2014 9:19 AM, "Frank Bulk (iname.com)"
> > <frnkblk at iname.com> wrote:
> >>
> >> From CNN breaking news:
> >>

> >> Time Warner Cable, one of the nation's largest cable and broadband
> >> providers, suffered a nationwide Internet outage early today,
> >> sparking new
> >> complaints about the company's service. Time Warner Cable said the
> >> outage
> >> occurred at 4:30 a.m. ET "during our routine network maintenance."
> >>

> >> "An issue with our Internet backbone created disruption with our
> >> Internet
> >> and On Demand services," the company said in a statement.
> >>

> >> "As of 6 a.m. ET, services were largely restored as updates
> >> continue to
> >> bring all customers back online," the company added.
> >>

> >> Frank

"The Internet is the only human endeavour in which a single-character
typographical error in a configuration file on a computer on the other
side of the planet can completely disable your corporate network."

I forget who's responsible for that observation, made, I think, in the
wake of the Turkish Youtube hijacking?

Cheers,
-- jra