[Outages-discussion] Unsignificant outages (was:NYC - PINCH)

Joseph Jackson jjackson at aninetworks.net
Tue Sep 20 15:57:56 EDT 2016

The routing protocols might be able to deal with a single fiber cut by design but I've noticed that networks are rarely designed topology and capacity wise for a failure of that sort.

Example - Zayo had a fiber cut in between DFW and LA in 2014.  Sure traffic routed around it but the capacity of the links wasn't enough to handle the extra traffic during the outage which then caused issues across their entire network which would cause issues with their customers.

So while the technology is more than able to go around damage human planners and most importantly costs keep it from being as robust and redundant as possible.

Joseph