[Outages-discussion] [outages] Outages Message List Scope

Jason Grider jgrider at asc.edu
Thu Mar 9 14:42:53 EST 2017

I agree in the canary in the coal mine aspect. When I signed up I expected that to some degree but with more of a backbone/service provider bent. I have plenty of filtering options available but filtering said canaries can be problematic if you don’t know which colors of canaries you are going to get. :)

I worded the Slack statement poorly; my bad. My problem with the Slack stuff was the 2hrs+ later “me to” or “its working” messages after Slack’s own status page noted they had a problem and had rolled back to fix it. Slack is critical infrastructure for some organizations and any outage for that kind of cloud service is going to generate calls to my call center if it goes on longer than the 15 minutes it takes to get from end user to technical contact to our help desk.

AWS, Azure, & Google are absolutely a reason for message; you are going to hear about it from your users/clients in a damn hurry if one of those is having a moment these days. An outage with those services now looks almost exactly the same to your networks as guy standing next to the Big Yellow Cable Finder with a 288 count fiber hanging from the bucket saying “ooopsy” depending on your or your client’s needs. :)

Thanks for the input everybody!
~Jason