[Outages-discussion] Mod: Clarification on Scope

Peter Beckman beckman at angryox.com
Fri Mar 10 16:57:07 EST 2017

On Thu, 9 Mar 2017, Charles Sprickman wrote:

>> On Mar 9, 2017, at 6:10 PM, Jay R. Ashworth <jra at baylink.com> wrote:
>>
>> Obviously, that include things which are directly related to the networking
>> of the Internet and of other major communications networks; notification of
>> last night's AT&T 911 outage was in-scope, for example.
>>
>> It includes backbone links and routers, IX problems, and problems with
>> upper-layer services that apply to a large number of end-sites, like DDoS
>> attacks on Cloudflare, Akamai, etc.
>
> In addition to the issues brought up above, it seems like the number of
> people posting vague “my cable is out” announcements without so much as a
> traceroute or anything keeps growing.  I understand that a regional
> Comcast or Charter outage is certainly noteworthy, but it seems like we
> get a number of reports that could simply be “have you tried turning it
> off and on again?” issues.

  Guidance and instruction are the best tools. This discussion was born from
  the "mission statement" on the mailmain page:

  I think criteria for original posts and replies should be listed, a set of
  expectations. For example...

  "Before you post:

     * Read the Mission Statement/Charter
     * The active issue must affect more than 1,000 (10k, 100k, ?) end users
       in order to be relevant to this list
     * Show your work, concisely. If you aren't sure there's a problem,
       don't post.  Include traceroutes, looking glass queries, tcpdump
       output, etc.
     * Be respectful -- your post will use approximately 16.6 hours
       collectively of people's time.
     * Ongoing issues only -- resolved issues, COE/RFE post-error,
       discussion goes to outages-discussion

   Before you reply:

     * "Me too" replies are discouraged, unless you are providing additional
       data (show your work) regarding an ongoing issue
     * Replies should add value to the understanding, workaround and/or
       resolution of the issue"

  Just some rough ideas. People cannot meet expectations if they are not set
  out clearly for them.

Beckman