[Outages-discussion] [outages] CableOne DNS issue?

Jeremy Chadwick jdc at koitsu.org
Sat Mar 25 00:49:36 EDT 2017

With regards to the first paragraph only: SMTP MTAs, per RFC 5321 Sec 5,
should attempting connect to the DNS A record of the recipient domain.
In other words: an MX record isn't necessarily required for SMTP flow
(it's always highly recommended, however).

Of course, if the MX record would normally point to an FQDN which has a
different A record than the domain itself, then that would certainly
cause problems.  Same goes for if the authoritative NSes aren't
resolving the domain's A record at all (your second paragraph).

--
| Jeremy Chadwick                                   jdc at koitsu.org |