[Outages-discussion] [outages] CableOne DNS issue?

Jeremy Chadwick jdc at koitsu.org
Sat Mar 25 11:37:19 EDT 2017

There is a very long discussion about this particular paragraph and its
wording over on the ietf.org ietf-smtp mailing list circa August
2016[1].  It's badly written, compounded by tremendous history going
back to RFCs 1034, 1035, 1123, and 2181.  It's also been hashed out (at
even more length) on the bind-users mailing list circa January 2009[2].
Domain names are also a bit unique[3], which I'll cover last.

I'll try to outline it as best as I remember (I prefer to stick to mail
infrastructures and DNS that is does not require this type of memory,
i.e. have MX records that point to FQDNs with A/AAAA and be done with
it.  I've always been a "stay away from CNAMEs" person).  Assume in the
below case Email is being sent to user at foo.domain.com.

If the host has an MX record, and that MX record points to an FQDN that
is a CNAME, then this is bad (violates RFCs).  Example of this erroneous
setup (it doesn't matter what some.other.place resolves to):

foo.domain.com.       IN MX 10 dnsishard.domain.com.
dnsishard.domain.com. IN CNAME some.other.place.

If the host lacks have an MX record, but has an A/AAAA, then the MTA
client will connect to the A/AAAA.  Example of this setup:

foo.domain.com. IN A 1.2.3.4

If the host has no MX or A/AAAA record, but instead has has a
CNAME, then the MTA will "start over from the beginning" with whatever
the CNAME is.  This is what the "If a CNAME record is found, the
resulting name is processed as if it were the initial name" sentence
refers to.  Example of this setup:

foo.domain.com.  IN CNAME blah.com.
blah.com.        IN MX 10 mail01.blah.com.
mail01.blah.com. IN A 1.2.3.4

Finally: if a domain name is to receive Email, the domain name itself
cannot consist solely of a CNAME; it must have an MX or A/AAAA (I
believe this is in RFC 1034 and 2181).  You can find lots on Google
about this at least.  Example of this erroneous setup is below; assume
Email is being sent to the address user at domain.com:

domain.com. IN CNAME blah.com.

I hope this covers it.  My brain is telling me I'm missing an edge case,
but if so, I hope others will chime in and correct it.  I'd just rather
not see a repeat of past discussions.  :-)

[1]: https://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/ietf-smtp/current/msg08572.html
[2]: https://lists.isc.org/pipermail/bind-users/2009-January/thread.html#74944
[3]: http://cr.yp.to/im/cname.html

--