[Outages-discussion] [EXTERNAL] Re: Question Re Strange (Outage Related?) iMessage Behavior

Chapman, Brad (Contractor-NBCUniversal) Brad.Chapman at nbcuni.com
Tue Nov 7 17:26:40 EST 2017

Have them download the Services Test app by Amsys and run the full suite.  It will test connectivity to the Apple Push Notification Server, messaging server, and other things.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/services-test/id663823983?mt=8

Second, have them turn off Wi-Fi and see if the issue persists.  If it is resolved on cellular, they both have a networking issue.

--Brad

On 11/7/17, 2:17 PM, "Outages-discussion on behalf of Jay Hennigan" <outages-discussion-bounces at outages.org on behalf of jay at west.net> wrote:

    On 11/7/17 1:54 PM, jrk1231-outml at nym.hush.com wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > Sorry if this is slightly off-topic, but I can’t think of a better place
    > to ask this question.
    >
    > Okay… this may not be an outage per se, but it sure acts like one. I’m
    > struggling to make sense of the behavior I’m seeing and hope someone can
    > explain what is going on.
     >
    > I have two cohorts in Portland, OR that are both on Verizon using
    > iPhones. They are on separate WiFi networks which are on different ISP
    > networks. Both have WiFi calling on, have strong cellular signal and
    > strong WiF signal. This problem appears to have started about 11:00 to
    > 12:00 today PST.

    It sounds as if their iPhones aren't registered with Apple's message
    server. It could be a configuration setting in their phones or an
    authentication issue between the phones and Apple.

    Jay Hennigan - CCIE #7880 - Network Engineering - jay at impulse.net