[Outages-discussion] Question about the Google “sorry” page...

Matthew Petach matt at petach.org
Sun Jun 28 21:06:01 EDT 2020

At $PREVIOUS_EMPLOYER, we had good success with increasing the size of our
external NAT pools, spreading the requests over a larger swath of IP space.

Have you looked at the flow stats coming from the external side of your NAT
devices to see how many connections per second each IP in the pool is
making to Google, and correlating that with which client machines on the
inside are making the requests, to make sure there's no
inappropriate software running that may be generating more requests than
you would otherwise anticipate?

Sometimes the sorry page is a reasonable canary in the coal mine,
indicating someone's doing something internally that they shouldn't really
be doing.

Best of luck!

Matt