[Outages-discussion] Question about the Google “sorry” page...

Chapman, Brad (NBCUniversal) Brad.Chapman at nbcuni.com
Sun Jun 28 19:52:59 EDT 2020

Greetings Outages-Discussion,

I hope you are all having a pleasant Sunday afternoon / evening with no P1 / SevA / 4-alarm fires caused by a violation of Read-only Friday.

Given the number of sysadmins and telecom / network engineers on this list, I am guessing that we have seen (or been asked to explain) the Google “Sorry” page.

Occasionally, our company gets a burst of calls about this issue, until the lockout expires on Google’s side.   We manage >50,000 computers so even short lockouts can generate dozens of calls.

Has anyone ever approached Google’s NOC team to request an exemption from the Sorry page for their busiest external IP addresses? Or, if not a blanket exemption, to request an increase in the threshold before it is tripped?

Hope you’re all staying safe.

Cheers,
Brad Chapman
NBCUniversal