[Outages-discussion] [outages] [META] Some outages are planned

Jay R. Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Mon Sep 14 19:46:55 EDT 2020

----- Original Message -----
> From: "Chris Boyd" <cboyd at gizmopartners.com>

> I wish they had shown how they reconnected the subscriber lines to the 5ESS. The
> “cut” is the easy part, but the “over” would be more interesting.

Over the preceding 3 to 4 weeks, they multipled each line on the IDF to the
incoming 5E, leaving it connected to the cables you saw chomped.

They probably then asked each line card "do you see voltage" and maybe walked
a single burst of ring along each row (I'm not sure if the 5E line card is
equipped to make those measurements, but I'd assume it's though worth the
component space).

Then, once they did the cut, they fished out the IDF to Xbar cables, and,
presumably, recycled them.

The cutover time is 47 second, but the prep and clean probably takes 3 or 4
guys two months.

Cheers,
-- jr 'speculate(informed);' a