[Outages-discussion] [outages] Ping to Google 8.8.8.8

Mark Tinka mark at tinka.africa
Wed Feb 9 01:41:18 EST 2022

On 2/9/22 07:33, Jay Hennigan wrote:

> So, "ping pool.ntp.org", then? Hey, it works! Problem solved.
>
> Seriously, that would just be repeating the problem of (ab)using a
> public resource for something other than its intended purpose.

You are putting words in my mouth...

To be clear, I mean that we develop ping-specific infrastructure that is
public and well-known by all and sundry, in the same way we developed
NTP for time-specific infrastructure, that is public and well-known by
all and sundry.

Why would I recommend that anyone ping NTP servers for testing :-\?

The fact that you misinterpreted what I was saying (and perhaps, I could
have been clearer as well) shows just how hard it will be to get regular
folk away from pinging yahoo.com, google.com or 8.8.8.8, until we give
them something else that is built for purpose.

> To be universal, it would need to be anycast from multiple dispersed
> locations. Maybe Cloudflare would be willing, like the 1.1.1.1
> resolver. There's probably some interesting data for the operator of
> such a service to analyze and monetize. If popular, the operator would
> have real-time observation of outages by location, ASN, etc. to a very
> granular level.

Agree.

My point is we have to be deliberate about it, because the general
public don't care.

Mark.