[Outages-discussion] [outages] Ping to Google 8.8.8.8

Jay R. Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Wed Feb 9 01:58:51 EST 2022

----- Original Message -----
> From: "Matthew Walster" <matthew at walster.org>

> On Wed, 9 Feb 2022, 06:17 Jay R. Ashworth, <jra at baylink.com> wrote:
>
>> Is there a measurable problem from the actual 64 bytes per second of ICMP?
>>
>> Or is the problem untrained 'engineers' getting all up in their bootstraps
>> about "it not working" when they try to do it?
>
> As I've recently been informed, certain shipping hardware from a big name
> manufacturer does liveness checks every second to 8.8.8.8 via ICMP. It's
> gone past diagnostics during a fault, it's now being treated as a public
> facility.

No shit?

Well, that's a big enough problem to fix at the source, like the notorious
NTP screwup some years back.

> What's more, it's being treated as a canonical source of information
> despite protests by the people operating the service that happens to give
> that side effect, and complaints being raised when it is rate limited due
> to abuse.

Well the latter point speaks to my question: it's not the *pinging*, it's
the *bitching*.

> It doesn't matter what is invented to replace it, "ping 8.8.8.8" is very
> fast to type, easy to remember, and is probably going to take the same
> amount of time to disappear as people setting 4.2.2.2 as their nameserver
> did.

Yup, that's a lot of it.

But as I suggest, if that's 1 Mb/s of traffic aggregate, then the *pinging*
is likely not the problem...  QUICK!  How many simultaneous pings is that?

Cheers,
-- jra