[Outages-discussion] [outages] Ping to Google 8.8.8.8

Matthew Walster matthew at walster.org
Wed Feb 9 02:36:00 EST 2022

On Wed, 9 Feb 2022, 06:58 Jay R. Ashworth, <jra at baylink.com> wrote:

> But as I suggest, if that's 1 Mb/s of traffic aggregate, then the *pinging*
> is likely not the problem...  QUICK!  How many simultaneous pings is that?

It's not the bandwidth that's the problem, it's that the service wasn't
designed for that, so all of a sudden you are likely making custom
forwarding rules to push ICMP Echo Requests somewhere else, and having
sufficient infrastructure for it at all the same PoPs that you have the DNS
service.

It wouldn't surprise me (full disclosure: former Googler, but completely
unaware of anything to do with this) if it caused real issues -- I can't
remember off-hand how ICMP is treated when it comes to ECMP etc, due to
only having a two-way tuple involved.