[Outages-discussion] [outages] Ping to Google 8.8.8.8

Mark Tinka mark at tinka.africa
Fri Feb 11 04:08:45 EST 2022

On 2/10/22 18:22, Jeff Shultz wrote:

> We run our own speedtest.net <http://speedtest.net> box, so most of
> the time when someone on our network goes there, they get our server.
> And if they don't - I've discovered at least one customer using
> speedtest.net <http://speedtest.net> through their VPN and connecting
> to a speed test server in Miami (we're on the west coast). I let that
> customer go off to yell at the VPN provider for the amount they were
> being throttled.

You're a better human than me. We just ditched Ookla altogether. With
the rate at which our customers were upgrading their bandwidth, it made
no more sense to use them as a benchmark, considering all the noise.

It took about 3 years, but we finally managed to get customers to
understand that we will never endorse Ookla, even if it was on-net.

> As for trusting the content services more than their ISP... well, the
> Comcasts of the world have brought that upon themselves.

It's less of an issue of how good the ISP is, and more to do with the
perception that the content folk are just so well established, so large,
so money'd, and so organized, that it is unthinkable that they would
ever have a network issue.

And even with Facebook's recent outage, regular Jane will continue to
put more stock in their availability, than that of their ISP, even
though the ISP might have far better uptime than Facebook's service(s).

Mark.