[Outages-discussion] Mediacom intermittent packet loss

Scott Buettner DasterinTempus at outlook.com
Sat Feb 19 21:57:38 EST 2022

The cable carrier has done the standard "have him powercycle then send a tech out" and the techs have not found a problem in this most recent issue. (He had a similar problem in December that WAS line related and was resolved in early Jan by the carrier techs). Unfortunately he's on residential class service at the moment (which I am trying to persuade him to correct) so the level of support we're getting from the Tier 1 folks isn't ideal.
He's scheduling another tech dispatch with them now, just to be safe.

It's hitting TCP and UDP both, which is just manifesting in "slowness" on TCP of course. It's most relevant over UDP as he is a professional streamer and the most prominent symptom is frame drops on that, and I've confirmed it is affecting his connection in general, the issue is not specific to that service. I had him grab a packet loss test using devicetests.com (which looks to be based on WebRTC for the test) and we managed to grab results of it actively happening here:  https://dast-files.s3.us-east-2.amazonaws.com/packets.jpg

He's replaced the modem and router both in the last 3 months, along with the cables.
It's very intermittent, bursts of packet loss over a few minutes, then fine for some period of time (minutes to hours).

He's informed me that a colleague of his located about 4 hours away on the same ISP is experiencing similar issues, but that individual is not a client of mine so I don't have anything concrete from that endpoint currently.

I'm happy to keep discussing/troubleshooting, but I would like to avoid spamming the rest of the list (even -discuss), so feel free to email me directly.