[Outages] Abovenet fibre cut; Washington D.C.

Jeremy Chadwick outages
Wed Dec 20 15:49:14 EST 2006

On Wed, Dec 20, 2006 at 12:14:04PM -0800, John A. Kilpatrick wrote:
> On Wed, 20 Dec 2006, Jeremy Chadwick wrote:
>
> >Abovenet's IP group has stated that there's a fibre cut in the
> >Washington D.C. area which is affecting their "southern route",
> >and peering between Chicago<->DC, FTW/Dallas<->DC, and northern
> >Virginia<->DC was affected.
>
> The email I got from AboveNet about the "network event" in the DC area
> said that their core routers rebooted.  They haven't mentioned a fiber cut
> to me.

I've gotten three statements -- one from their IP NOC via phone,
(which is who told us there was a fibre cut in the DC area), then
a few minutes later an Email stating that a "networking event had
occured", then another one about core routers rebooting.

Whoever I spoke to in their NOC was coherent and seemed to know
a bit about what was going on and was very helpful.  So if there
was not a fibre cut, I was simply told the wrong thing by Abovenet.

| Making life hard for others since 1977.               PGP: 4BD6C0CB |