[Outages] Cingular/ATT Wireless data network problems

John Todd jtodd
Fri Sep 29 18:15:05 EDT 2006

We utilize the Cingular/ATT wireless network (GPRS) for various IT
purposes and for delivery of some of our customer data.  For the last
8 days, we have seen various failures in the Cingular data network
with inability to complete requests to any destinations using HTTP
(we have not tried other protocols.)  It seems to be sporadic, with
about a 50% failure rate on any particular request.  We have tried to
many destinations, both our own and other locations which have shown
no issues in the past.  Our problems have been with devices or
networks in the San Francisco Bay/Silicon Valley area.  We have
performed the same tests 20 miles apart in this region to ensure
different towers, with the same results.

Calls to Cingular customer support lead to long hold times followed
by requests for us to reboot our cell phones, and there seems to be
no comprehension of the failure mode by the support group.

Is anyone else using Cingular/ATT that has experienced problems with
HTTP gateway service?  While I can't pin this on a "network" failure,
it does appear that the application (HTTP or WAP) failures are
causing operational problems for us, and I would like to determine if
this is a localized or regional issue, or if this is a wider scale
problem with application gateways or our equipment type.

JT