[Outages] Cingular/ATT Wireless data network problems

Jim Popovitch jimpop
Fri Sep 29 21:39:17 EDT 2006

On Fri, 2006-09-29 at 15:15 -0700, John Todd wrote:
> Is anyone else using Cingular/ATT that has experienced problems with
> HTTP gateway service?  While I can't pin this on a "network" failure,
> it does appear that the application (HTTP or WAP) failures are
> causing operational problems for us, and I would like to determine if
> this is a localized or regional issue, or if this is a wider scale
> problem with application gateways or our equipment type.

I don't have operational experience with Cingular's HTTP gateway
service, but I do see all sorts of periodic latency in their email
gateways.  I often get email->text alert messages, which contain a
timestamp, days after the fact.  It bothers me that I pay for this
service, but I also understand the problems they and other providers
deal with.  Both WAP and email are ever growing technologies, I suspect
that they (or their outsourced provider) aren't planning effectively,
not that I could plan it any better for them.

-Jim P.