[outages] ATT, Comcast Issues

Jeremy Chadwick outages at jdc.parodius.com
Wed Aug 12 04:22:35 EDT 2009

I'm a Comcast subscriber in the bay, and I do pretty extensive
monitoring of Comcast IP connectivity/reliability (both incoming and
outgoing).

I witnessed no service interruptions on 2009/08/10 between 2000-2100
PDT, and my periodic traceroutes/mtrs show no indication of IP network
reconvergence that took place during that time frame.  My IP tests do
not utilise Comcast<-->AT&T paths though, only Comcast<-->Level3 or
Comcast<-->Abovenet.

Packets from my Comcast connection to a destination in Santa Clara
normally go from Mountain View -> Oakland -> Sacramento -> San Jose ->
Santa Clara.  This is visible in traceroute/mtr.

The best place to look for outage reports of this sort is on
BroadbandReports/DSLreports.  The below lists are for general forum
discussion and direct Comcast-employee-to-customer support, respectively
(you won't be able to read the latter posts, but you can see the
Topics).

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/comcast
http://www.dslreports.com/forum/comcastdirect

Additionally, my night job involves monitoring quite a few links in and
out of the Bay via different transport providers, and nothing was
witnessed with AT&T on the night of 2009/08/10.

Hope this helps.