[outages] Level3 Chicago

Devon True devon at noved.org
Wed Aug 19 11:50:54 EDT 2009

'Jeremy Chadwick' wrote:
> That's an excellent question -- and one I've always wondered myself.
>
> This is purely speculative, but I believe outbound ICMP (e.g. sent from
> the router to whatever src solicited it) is what's de-prioritised.
>
> Someone more familiar with Cisco and Juniper equipment might know for
> certain.

Usually packets destined to the control-plane of the system are
prioritized based on criteria. It is better to let routing control
protocols (e.g. ospf, bgp, isis) through first than someone pinging or
running a traceroute. Packets *through* the router take the normal
forwarding path and are not affected by this system.

There may be system defaults based on hardware/software, but Cisco has
CoPP and I believe Juniper uses a firewall on the lo0 interface (been a
while since I touched one) for user-defined rules.

--
Devon