[outages] Level3 Chicago

Craig Pierantozzi tozz at tozz.net
Wed Aug 19 14:47:25 EDT 2009

Yes, and when pure prioritization is not available, ISPs
will use rate limiting too which is one of the ways
Level 3 restricts ICMP to the cpu on the core devices.

Also, the car device is an edge router so there could be
congestion on a customer port too when higher response times
are seen on the other side of a hop. Response times that settle
could be the control plane/data plane issue or could be once
traffic gets to a far end there's an asymetric path that goes
a different return path rather than back across the link seen on
the forward traceroute. All these are why simple pings and
traceroutes don't always tell the story.