[outages] Blackberry Email Troubles?

Jay R. Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Wed Dec 23 13:29:18 EST 2009

----- "Michael Schuler" <mike_schuler at me.com> wrote:
> I have not bothered to keep up on BIS services as it's of no use to
> the company I work for.
> But, if IMAPIDLE is all you need to call something push, then by all
> means call BIS a push service.

What we have here is a failure to listen.

Each carrier will assign you one (or more) "native" BIS mailboxes, within
the blackberry.net domain, and attach them to your phone.

Mail sent to those mailboxes will be delivered by the same "true push"
protocol used on BES setups, as that's what BIS really is: it's a big-ass
BES cluster.

BIS customers can also configure IMAP pickup from off-net mailboxes, and I
don't know whether that's proxied by BIS and pushed to the phone, or polled
directly, cause we don't use that.

That may or may not support IMAP IDLE.

Cheers,
-- jra

    Start a man a fire, and he'll be warm all night.
     Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.