[outages] Comcast outage in SoCal?

Jay Hennigan jay at west.net
Wed Dec 15 22:12:50 EST 2010

On 12/15/10 6:21 PM, Andy Ringsmuth wrote:
> Anyone happen to know what's going on with Comcast in the LA area?  DreamHost, my hosting provider, reports:
>
> Reduced Download Speeds

[snippage]

I can't share any direct light on this but can indirectly verify that
something is going on.

We're a regional ISP in Santa Barbara.  The speedtest.net site defaults
to Dreamhost in Los Angeles for our customers based on geolocation.

Our support team has had complaints of poor speeds based on customers
using speedtest.net.  Indeed, choosing the Dreamhost default absolutely
crawls.  Choosing another server results in expected results.

It's interesting how this type of supposedly unrelated issue can affect
people who normally wouldn't notice it.

Jay Hennigan - CCIE #7880 - Network Engineering - jay at impulse.net