[outages] ns12/ns13.verio.net fallen off the net?

Gert Doering gert at greenie.muc.de
Fri Feb 19 11:22:31 EST 2010

Hi,

On Fri, Feb 19, 2010 at 09:54:04AM -0600, Larry Sheldon wrote:
> On 2/19/2010 2:45 AM, Gert Doering wrote:
> > one of my collagues complained about selfhtml.org unreachability, so I
> > checked, and what I found is disturbing:
> >
> > ;; ANSWER SECTION:
> > selfhtml.org.           82408   IN      NS      ns12.verio.de.
> > selfhtml.org.           82408   IN      NS      ns13.verio.de.
> >
> > ;; ADDITIONAL SECTION:
> > ns12.verio.de.          86259   IN      A       213.198.55.91
> > ns13.verio.de.          86259   IN      A       213.198.65.162
> >
> > Cisco-M-XXX>sh ip b 213.198.55.91
> > % Network not in table
> > Cisco-M-XXX>sh ip b 213.198.65.192
> > % Network not in table
> >
> > Verified at route-views.oregon-ix.net, so it's not a local problem in .DE
> >
> > Does anybody know more?
>
> I'm a little confused, not that that matters much.
>
> In some places you say "verio.net", in others "verio.de"

I corrected that about two minutes later in a followup e-mail.

> Similarly, you are looking, in one place, at "213.198.65.162", another,
> "213.198.65.192".

Since both addresses are from the same /24, and people don't do
longer-than-/24 announcements, it doesn't really make a difference
(actually the whole /17 was missing from the BGP system, but came
back in the meantime).

But indeed, I was not looking closely enough when I wrote that e-mail
(the BGP output in question was done after the initial diagnosis to
have something to cut-and-paste).  Sorry for that.

Didn't change the problem, though, and people actually interested in
the *issue* have been able to figure out what I was talking about.

> I wonder if part of the problem is a general sloppiness in the
> trouble-shooting.

... but some folks seem to be more interested in pointing out that I
make mistakes every now and then.  Yes, I'm aware of that.

But since the original problem has been solved many hours ago, this is
all sort of moot, and we should close the thread or take it off-list.

gert
                                                           //www.muc.de/~gert/
fax: +49-89-35655025                        gert at net.informatik.tu-muenchen.de